Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What Happened on Wednesday?

Yesterday, which for the purposes of this being my What Happened on Wednesday post, must have been Wednesday -- okay, I just freaked myself out a little bit there, wondering if it really is Wednesday today. Yes, I freak a little bit easily. -- I took some photos of clouds and the mountains. The Rincon Mountains, I think.


This is not a great photo. There's too much going on -- the clouds, the power lines and poles, the road and street signs. The cars over to the left...It looks like a snapshot, with potential that was not realized...Then I used "sharpen" and "black and white" and "crop" on them until it looked like this...



and this...


Did I mention that I love crop and sharpen and b&w and glow and blur and saturation and contrast and shadows and fill light and....I love playing with my photo edit programs.


Later in the evening Tess and I were driving home, and I was being only slightly unsafe taking photos with the camera on the dashboard...I really like the floating headlights in this one -- you can't see the car at all, just the headlights.



Then Tess took over the camera and got these really fun shot of the Fry's grocery store shopping center near our house...it was a 1.6 second exposure taken from the back seat of a moving vehicle.



I really really really love my new camera. I haven't figured it all out yet, and I still can't get it to take the photo every time (last night it wouldn't take some photos because it couldn't focus -- that is a definite drawback to this camera, but now that I realize that is the problem I can work around it by using the manual focus option.) I think I have taken photos pretty much every day since I got the new camera, and I take it with me a lot of the time....but how many photos of the desert and mountains around Tucson are too many? Probably about 100 fewer than I have already taken...



8 comments:

  1. I love your pictures. Keep 'em coming. The last one was really neat - almost like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That final picture looks like the streaks you find inside glass paperweights. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos. The car ones are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last one is freakin' cool. My boyfriend always tries to take pics like that with my camera. He got me a Nikon D-80,and I still don't know how to use it *sigh* Whatta you got?

    ReplyDelete
  5. An Olympus E-410. It was a pretty good deal at Costco...a big memory card and two lenses, 14-50 and 40-150, which I love, since it gives me zooooooooooom. I love zooooooooooom. I have been using it every day under lots of different situations to try and figure out how to get it to take the photos I want.

    The main thing I wanted in a new camera was the greater zoom, a better macro, and the ability to manipulate the aperture and shutter speed, and better control over the focus, and this camera has that.

    So far I am really happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never ever be sick of your photos..

    keep on snappin woman..

    only 8 and 1/2 months until i get my new camera.. muawhahahah

    cheers kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing like a good camera to bring out the artist in someone. And you seem to have discovered a little 'secret' that some photographers know - but don't tell anybody. Inside every photograph - snapshot, posed or not, or whatever - inside every photograph there is a 'good picture' - maybe even a 'great picture'. You just have to be able to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everybody!

    lceel -- thanks. I love editing and experimenting...My Mom was thrilled when I showed her how to crop her digital photos and what a huge difference it could make. I like regular film a little more than digital -- I think it looks a little better, but the ability to manipulate the images is so much fun with digital!

    ReplyDelete

You like me! You really really like me!

Or maybe you just find me horribly annoying and are about to let me know. Go ahead, I can deal.

So, whatever, you know, leave a message. Thanks!!!