Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I told you...

See?  Always looks confused.

Abe always looks puzzled or confused or wondering or perplexed. I think it's the shape of his eyes, maybe the way his ear always stands up. Only one ear stands up because they wrecked the cartilage in his ear when he was a puppy. I don't know exactly how, one day I noticed it was floppier than the other. But I do know they play really hard. Both of them used to be covered with battle scars all the time. They played really hard. They still play hard, I think they just don't play quite the same way. Currently they try to grab the other one's hind leg and knock him over or they do the chest bump.

Instead of a photo today, I am going to post a link for The Daily Alaska.

It's a post on The Mudflats, an Alaska blogger. This post is a description of what it's like to go buy groceries when you live out in the Bush in Alaska. It's pretty shocking how expensive stuff is -- 2 loaves of bread are $11.98, gas is $7.25 a gallon, and 144 Huggies diapers, a whopping $82.55. (I suppose she could use cloth diapers, but they have to haul water to their house, and it costs them a buck for 10 gallons...She didn't describe how she does laundry, but I would think it can't be cheap either.) I live in Anchorage, and I like Anchorage. I have no desire to live out in the Bush, and can't imagine why anyone would want to. But I know people who love this lifestyle, anything to keep them out of crowds and large groups of people. Go check it out. It's really interesting and surprising.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I cannot fathom why in the world they would want to live there. I also cannot imagine what kind of jobs they must have to afford to drop $500 every 2 weeks on that small ammount of groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No time tonight to study *life in the bush*, but I'll get to it. The little bit you wrote about it lets me know that it isn't the life for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I would surely die!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:22 AM

    Thanks for that link Julie, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:01 PM

    Abe is adorable. Always.

    I'm all out living where people aren't, but I'm all about a bargain. The bargain side usually wins. Off to check out the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! Those are some outrageous prices! I'm not sure I could live out in the bush. Even in the prices were reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine having to pay that much for groceries.

    ReplyDelete

You like me! You really really like me!

Or maybe you just find me horribly annoying and are about to let me know. Go ahead, I can deal.

So, whatever, you know, leave a message. Thanks!!!