Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Michelangelo's Pieta


This is a sculpture by Michelangelo that is in St Peter's in the Vatican. It is absolutely stunning in real life -- I look at works like these and cannot imagine how anyone could create such detail from a big hunk of marble.

It is behind a sheet of acrylic glass because it was damaged by a Hungarian geologist who attacked it with a hammer while shouting "I am Jesus Christ." People are endlessly strange and crazy.

Works of art like this are why I am so excited to go to Italy next month.

Photo by Wikipedia Commons user Glimz

No comments:

Post a Comment

You like me! You really really like me!

Or maybe you just find me horribly annoying and are about to let me know. Go ahead, I can deal.

So, whatever, you know, leave a message. Thanks!!!