Thursday, January 23, 2014

Curry Glazed Chicken. Yum.

Another favorite recipe that I have been tweaking lately. It started out with 3 pounds of chicken and a stick of butter in a roasting pan, which, gross. That is way way too much fat for me. And it used orange marmalade, but again, hard to find an version with no preservatives, and it's way cheaper and easier to use tangerines. I also went from using large pieces of chicken - breast, thigh, drumstick, etc -- to using small pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs.

As almost always, I am not precise in cooking this. I usually double it, because this is one of those recipes that tastes even better the next day.

I use a couple of chicken breasts, or 5 or 6 chicken breast tenderloins, all boneless skinless. I have no idea how much chicken thigh I use, because I buy those six packs of fresh boneless skinless chicken thighs from Costco. So I use one pack. Half a pound, maybe? Quick hint, if you buy those six packs of chicken thighs or chicken breasts from Costco, don't just throw them any which way in the freezer. Lay them flat until they freeze. Last time we bought the chicken thighs, one of us (cough cough Mark cough) dropped them in the freezer and they froze in unfortunate and hard to separate shapes...

Tangerines -- I peel and separate the sections, then dice them up. Before I put them in the pan, I "juice" them by flattening them with the side of the knife against the cutting board.

It's not hot curry, just flavorful curry.

Curry Chicken

6 - 8 ounces bacon (uncured, no nitrates or nitrites or anything, if you want to really cook like me, otherwise            just regular old bacon works. But thick sliced is better, although not crucial.)
a big white onion
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp curry powder
2 cups chicken broth
3 little tangerines, or a couple oranges, peeled, cut up into bits
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp lemon juice

chicken -- cut up into bite sized pieces. Or use 3 pounds of chicken pieces

Saute the chicken pieces in a little oil, so that they start to brown.I use a pan that can go in the oven, but you can use a frying pan for this part, and transfer everything to an oven safe pan.

Cut the bacon into 1" chunks and fry it til it starts to crisp up a little bit. Chop up the onion and cook it with the bacon until it gets tender. Blend in the flour and curry powder, and stir in chicken broth. Cook over medium heat until it thickens, stirring constantly. Add the diced tangerines, the ketchup, and the lemon juice.

Preheat to 400. Dump the sauce over the chicken, stir it around a little, make sure it's all coated, and bake it for 45 minutes or until the top gets brown. It should get pretty brown, because that's when it starts to taste really really good.

Serve over rice. We like to cook down half a head of cabbage in a little olive oil (maybe a tablespoon or less), til it gets soft and some of it browns, and add that to the rice and curry.

This one I have made at least half a dozen times recently, because damn. It is that good.

Next up, banana bread. Again, super easy and super delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You like me! You really really like me!

Or maybe you just find me horribly annoying and are about to let me know. Go ahead, I can deal.

So, whatever, you know, leave a message. Thanks!!!